Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Hello from Sarajevo!

After three airplanes and 19 long hours, I finally arrived in Sarajevo last night at 10:00 p.m., or as they have it 22:00. Wierd...its gonna take some time for my brain to automatically figure out the time with out any caculation. I was greeted by Maelys and her friend Alberta. They were both smiling and seemed very happy to see me. I immediately felt welcomed. Maelys and Alberta took me straight to my apartment. My place sits on a gorgeous park that has many trees and is intensely green. My apartment is spacious and full of light for the many windows. I have a large dinning area and a huge living room. The bathroom is big too. My kitchen on the other hand is tiny in comparison. I sleept soundly in my new bed. When I woke up this morning I felt really good. I almost expected that I would be thinking what have I done, but that was not the case at all. I took my time getting ready and enjoyed the beautiful view from my balcony.
Later I went to Maelys' house where I met her 4 children. They are all so adorable and have unique personalities.
Alberta took me to the grocery store and I bought some basic things like bread and cheese. They have Cheetos and Pringles here! Its odd what things bring comfort in a new and strange place.
I walked to Maelys' house tonight by myself. We were discussing that it might be better to just go for it now so I can become accustomed to the way of life here more quiclkly. I also took my first taxi ride ever today. I think I will have many firsts here in Sarajevo.
Sarajevo is beautiful. Its hilly and so green with tall trees everywhere. Today I learned that during the war when Sarajevo was surrounded some people wanted to cut down the trees for firewood, but others defended and protected them, even with violence.
I am learning a lot already about Sarajevo and about the people here. There is rich culture and lots of diversity. I am so happy to be here.

5 comments:

Brenda K. said...

YAY!!! welcome to Sarajevo Hayley. I am incredibly jealous, but in a good way. I taught 5th grade today and we had some library time so i looked at a sweet picture from Bosnia in an Encyclopedia. You have to take lots of pictures and post them. I want to see the bread and cheese and veggies and everything you get and your apartment. The park sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear more! Love you!

Alise said...

hayley!!! i cant believe you are really there. you are going to have the time of your life!!! live it up! i love you and am so jealous! i cant wait to hear about all of your many daily adventures! : )

Brenda K. said...

Girl, if you are going to have a blog, you need to update it. I know I don't update mine, but com'on, I live in Rexburg. I'm dying to hear more and see some too.

HeaTheR & ChRiS said...

Yes, I agree with Brenda...1. pictures, please! and 2. update it :) (even though I, like Brenda, don't update mine either LoL) anywho, I'm so happy for you!! I'm glad you love it so far :)

Echo said...

Hi Haley,
It is me, Aunt Echo. I am having so much fn reading your blog. I am living vicariously through you. I've decided you mom and I need to come visit you. She is coming to see me in a couple of weeks for Cody's graduation from college. He finally did it. I would trade you the cold in Seattle from some Bosnian heat. We are experiencing February again. Keep blogging. Your descriptions of your experiences are eloquent. You are such a world traveller now. Be safe. Love Aunt Echo