Sunday, May 18, 2008

My new roommate!


Florencia arrived from Argentina on Thursday night. I went to the airport with Maelys to pick her up. She is so cute and I love her English because she has a British accent. She lived in Ireland and London for many years while studying Montessori pedagogy and working in a few schools. We get along great! Yesterday we walked around the city and explored for several hours. Every time I go out I fall more in love with this city. I love that no matter where I am, I am completely surrounded by mountains. Its brilliant as Florencia would say. I have been slacking a bit on taking pictures, but I took two yesterday. One is of the old Ottoman part of Sarajevo with all the little shops with gorgeous hand crafted things and the other is of one of the many Muslim Mosques here in Sarajevo. In Islam you are obliged to pray 5 times per day. During the prayer hour a man goes to the very top on the steeple and sings...he is calling the people to come pray. There are megaphones or something that makes it possible for the sound to be heard all around. Its very beautiful and reminds me of a Gregorian chant of something. Every mosque also has a Pekara or a bakery attached to it. The bread is fantastic! I am really enjoying myself as I learn more and more about Sarajevo and the people here.

3 comments:

brooke w said...

HAY....this picture is amazing. And your little blog. Praying 5 times a day after a horn sounds?? HAHA. I love it. I love the culture. Keep posting, I love it!

georgia jenkins said...

Sounds amazing Hayley, I'm glad you are doing great.
Love ya,
Georgia

Anonymous said...

wow! haley, i am so proud of you.. i love you. you be careful and enjoy every moment and cherrish your memories. good job on your blogs. i love how you write and tell your stories.. you are so cute.
love you much, keep up the good work. love jeannie