Thursday, May 15, 2008

One week in!

So, I am one week and two days into my adventure here in Sarajevo. Since my arrival I have been very busy settling into my apartment, meeting new people, exploring the city and of course preparing the school for its opening in September.
I have been having a great time getting to know new people. All the people I have met are so kind and what I really love about them is that they are so genuine...no pretense at all. The way of life here is much more relaxed compared to life in America...no matter how much you have to accomplish, there is always time for a cup of coffee or tea with a friend. There are a billion cafes here. If you think the number of Starbucks in the states is ridiculous...litterally every 5 shops is a cafe, and sometime there will be 2 or 3 consecutively. But, I like that life isnt so rushed and stressful.
I have tried a few traditional Bosnian foods. Cevapi is a very popular fast food here that people eat any time of day. Its ground veal and beef shapped into sausage links and served inside bread kind of like pita bread. Its pretty good. I also tried Bosnian donuts which are not sweet at all and are served with a type of buttery cheese spread. I really liked them. Bosnian ice cream is excellent and of course I loved the baklava. There are some things though that I am not brave enough yet to try.
Maelys has kept me very busy. I think she worries that I will get homesick if I am bored. I have been given several assignements like preparing a workshop on adult to child communication, ordering materials, and preparing some documents for the government officals over education. Its been great because these projects I am working on are all good learning experiences.
Until today I have been living alone, but tonight my roommate arrives from Argentina. Florencia is coming to help trian the teachers in Montessori pedagogy. I am not sure how long she will be here...at least a couple months. I have enjoyed my time to myself but I am excited to have a friend to talk to in the evening when I am at home.
I feel like I have been here much longer than a week and I don't feel too far from home. I am confident that this is where I need to be, probably for several reasons I am not even aware of. I miss home and all of you of course.
I would love to see more of you on Skype...its been comforting to see familiar faces or hear the voices of my family and friends.

2 comments:

Brenda K. said...

Hey! Glad to see a new post. Keep it up. Love you!

Lisa said...

Hi Hayley!!

Your apartment is SO cute. The park is beautiful too! E-mail me soon. I have so much to catch you up on. I miss you!